Thursday, September 4, 2014

Why Do Men Get All of the Cool Jobs? [Video]

As a female , I often noticed that my male co-workers were given different tasks than I was given.  I know that this feeling is echoed by my female students and by many women in various work positions throughout the world.  

 This isn't occupational segregation - it is when two people with the similar job titles are actually assigned different responsibilities. These differences are important because the males are often given the tasks that are more likely to matter for praises, raises,  and promotions.

These differences can be invisible. One of my favorite comediennes, Amy Schumer, makes them visible with this sketch about a male and female team of spies. This is clearly over the top, but I think it is great starting point for a discussion about how roles are divided at work.

No comments:

Post a Comment